How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Kapuskasing, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Bingo: Bingo is tremendously popular in our community so every Thursday afternoon we host a big bingo game to which community organizations donate money. It is open to the entire community and there are jackpots of $30 to $50 dollars to be won.
- Cooking Activities: Volunteers from the community organize a weekly cooking activity for residents in our country kitchen. The volunteers do the shopping and help residents prepare the food.
- Gardening Club: Residents with green thumbs enjoy our gardening club and grow a variety of vegetable in wheelchair accessible raised beds.
- Monthly Dance: We also host a monthly dance for family and residents with live bands (both English and French) from the local community.
- Movie Night: Once a week residents enjoy a movie night with popcorn and refreshments.
- Residents Council: Once a month our Residents Council hosts and prepares a private dinner for one resident who can invite 2 guests to join him or her.
- Christmas Party: Every Christmas, our local grocer, Your Independent Grocer, hosts a huge Christmas Party and dance for our residents, family members and staff. They supply and prepare all the food, beverages and a cake, Our staff and family members put together gift baskets. Santa is there and everyone gets a gift.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist